What are your goals for 2018? Do you want to lose weight? Want to start your own business? Change your job? Get fit?
Whatever your goals for 2018, it can be hard to commit to them. Often we give others our 100% commitment yet, when it comes to ourselves we often fall short of giving ourselves the full commitment. Why?
There can be many reasons why we don't give ourselves our full commitment to reaching goals. Fear, time constraints, Lack of motivation and putting others before ourselves are all pulling on us, making our goals difficult to reach.
We can find it difficult to commit to ourselves, especially if we view ourselves negatively, that little voice in our heads telling ourselves that we are not worth the time or that we will fail again so why even try.
Other commitments often take precedence over our personal goals. We have to commit to working so we have money. We have to give our families commitment, especially our children and partners. It's so easy to fall short of giving our personal goals the commitment they need to see them come to fruition.
So how do we commit fully to our personal goals?
I have put together some tips to keep you on track and help you succeed in hitting those goals in 2018.
1. Make a list of personal goals you want to achieve in 2018
2. Carve out time in your schedule to work on those goals.
3. Break each goal down into smaller goals so you can celebrate the small successes which will boost your motivation and determination to tackle the next step.
4. Each month check in with your list and check that you are still working towards your goals.
5, If you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up. Everyone does from time to time. Take a breath and get yourself back on track with no judgement.
6. Keep your goals personal. Research has shown that when you share your goals with others, you have less chance of succeeding. No-one needs to know what you are trying to do until you succeed, then, they can celebrate with you.
7. Practice mindfulness. You will never reach any of your goals if you are constantly telling yourself how you fall short. Keep your self talk positive and encouraging. You should be supporting yourself not spotlighting all your flaws.
8. Practice visualizing you reaching those goals and what it would actually mean and feel to attain them. Feel those positive emotions, take them all in and use those emotions to fuel your determination and motivation.
It can be difficult to put yourself on the priority list if you are accustomed to putting everyone else before you. But, you deserve to spend time on yourself. It's not selfish. By spending time on yourself and practicing good self care, those around you will also benefit.
I recommend that you allocate time each week to work towards your goals. When you schedule the time in, you are more likely to do it. Establishing the habit of working towards your goals, gives you more chance of succeeding than just trying to fit the work in here and there.
Remember to give yourself 100% commitment. Fear can prevent us from doing that. Sometimes we are actually scared to see our goals through. We can subconsciously sabotage our efforts to succeed because deep down we don't think we deserve to succeed or we are afraid of how succeeding would actually change our lives.
Good luck and don't forget to let me know what you think of this article! I love to hear from my readers! :)